Thursday, August 20, 2020

Animation Hellhole Memories Part 4.2

 [Close up of a naive overworked kid at the studio. Larger and colored 2 panel version below.]

I don't remember what the intent was with these. But if this was going to be one of those notebook drawings with narration, the top panel probably would've been: 

"Thinking about the future, he probably had no idea that that very moment, lost in thought inside the confines of that hidden college courtyard, would be the time he'd look back on nostalgically while stuck in a cubicle, pulling OT with little to no air conditioning." 

(Which would've been at a studio called... Phlegm Romain. I laughed when I came across a news article from back then playing up all the great new shows Phlegm was looking to do, with an anonymous comment at the end; "What a joke, that place is a sweatshop." In hindsight, I can't really argue with that. Maybe that's why they up and moved down to Mexico, deep respect that Corporate Animation Management has for the domestic workforce and the Animation Guild.)

 

[I realized after the last post that most nighttime settings use cooler colors for anything either outdoors or not under direct light. So, I played with the color levels to reflect that while trying to keep it from being too dark. I've done this sort of scenario before, so you'd think I'd have remembered the process.]
 

[Last minute addition: Here's a recent redux of an old piece I did back when I was at said studio. Sort of an anniversary present to all the time spent there. As you can see, a happy worker with the proper motivation. The original piece is still somewhere on here I think, but I'm not one to show off old underwear if I don't have to. Good luck finding it.]  

No comments: