Monday, February 21, 2011

~ Color Studies, or: Comic Panel Procrastination... ~


Wanted to do some studies in color. These are around the Golden Hour, sunset. I have another set of panels set during mid-day; I'll post those next time. The negative space is presumably for word bubbles. The panel layout was kind of an after-thought.

I'm noticing that I need to open up my character expression vocabulary a little more, give them a bigger variety of emotions and expressions. As is, I'm tending to start these scenarios or scenes with the introductory shot of someone looking dire or morose. I blame Russian novels.

Besides this, I need to work more on being able to pace a scene out, find where to bring the emotional level up during an interaction between characters. Plus, there are more than a few ways to make a scene interesting without having to resort to yelling and/or violence. I blame Tarantino* and whoever made Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels.

(*Although he's gotten better. Reservoir Dogs is the only one that I've seen that's annoying in that respect.)

............

Something from the sketchbook this past week:On a side note: Fabric softener is probably one of the best inventions of the modern world.

8 comments:

mickael brunet said...

Great!!

Miwa Okazawa said...

Hi it's Miwa:)
It's so nice!! I like you mixed so many colors to create the sunset color:> So cool!!

Khylov said...

Croquisman;

Thanks much, glad you like.

Miwa;

Aha! There you are. I knew that chicken curry would continue to be cooked somewhere.

Thanks much; I had alot of good reference to look at while painting these. The nice thing about doing them digitally is that once you find a good palette the first panel or so, it's just a matter of using the water drop tool and reusing the same tones (shading, highlights, etc) at a higher opacity. No mixing or experimenting required.

...Right after the last day at the studio for you guys, it rained for almost a week straight. I think even the sky knew that things would be that much more boring without you all here That, and I'd never find out what exactly the ending was to Billy Bat, especially since book #5 just came out. Is sad, I know.

Mauricio Abril said...

Nice work as usual, I particularly enjoy the sketchbook spread

ManuPela said...

Great atmosphere :)

Khylov said...

Mauricio; Manu;

Thanks much both. Once work allows me to have time, I'll return the favor on your blogs.

Albert Sorrentino Jr. said...

this is nice dude! Love the line quality and the colors, nice and loose! Great mood you've created with the colors!

Khylov said...

Sorrentino;

Thanks much; sorry about the long gap between post and response. Will have to stop by your page and enjoy the watercolors.