Sunday, September 27, 2020

Space Harrier Girls - Revisions

[Full image and sketches below.]

Time flies when you're thinking about having fun. It's been a few years already since I did this piece. Seeing it recently made me want to do some revisions on the girls' faces and some minor tweaks with some of the shapes, as well as refining the color to look a little more painterly. 

[Simplified cartoon cel shading. Basically just dropped the layer that had all the smoothed out color overlay.] 

Looking at the older version (which you'll have to find yourself, old underwear rule and all), there's probably not much difference between the two to warrant a repost, but... whatever. I can see the differences and know where my old drawing habits were at the time, and how I need to improve.

Sketch part of the image. Usually when I draw digitally, I start at 3000 x 3000 pixels for the canvas size, and then double the image size the more I want to draw to either the left or right. (As you can see, the color from the first image above bleeds over a little on the right.) The sketch part of the file is just me messing around, proportion studies or turnarounds, screen caps of things I find interesting, or things I want to drawover on to see where I can improve on design choices, or just thumbnails for later composition ideas. Usually a mixture of all of the above.


No comments: