Saturday, July 11, 2009

~ It's just a minor sketch... ~

And now for a bit of early 80's nostalgia from D.C. and the Beltway: Minor Threat:

Did these while having youtube clips of the band playing in the background. Tried not to pause or dwell too long looking at the footage while drawing - which actually helped I thought.

Anyhow, the drawings are pretty loose and sloppy.

And I know, there's something to be said about clarity when doing crowd scenes. But trust me, if you watch the video, you'll see what I mean...



Some links to other clips where the audience is being tossed around in a dryer. (This show's happening inside of a replica pirate ship, by the way):

-"Seeing Red" (This one's got a double stagedive at about 0:36)

-"Stand up" (First song of the set. Audience literally explodes within 0.5 seconds. Guy with a whistle jumps onstage and directs traffic.)

-"Little Friend" (Breakdown near the end is pretty off the hook - there's at least one jumpkick to the face.)

-"I Don't Wanna Hear It" (Michael Jackson launches off stage at about 1:03.)

-"Sob Story" (Although not the fastest or most intense song, the last part between 1:13 and 1:40 captures for me why I dug on this band so much.)

-"Betray" (Pretty much says it all. They fully throw themselves into the song, with some sharp Sinatra dance moves near the end.)

8 comments:

Fabian said...

YES! Loose! I love loose drawings! So alive, so much movement, i think you capture very well those moments! Excellent work :)

Howard Shum said...

Nice energy in these drawings!

Mall said...

I won't jump over crazy chaotic people or crazy sweatin' pool. O_O I better stay standing at the backstage and enjoy watching them jumping and jumping and jumping over....... love the concept sketches especially bahhh bahhh black sheep! :P

Mall said...

I won't jump over crazy chaotic people or crazy sweatin' pool. O_O I better stay standing at the backstage and enjoy watching them jumping and jumping and jumping over....... love the concept sketches especially bahhh bahhh black sheep! :P

Khylov said...

Thanks much everybody.

Fabian;

Cool, thank you. I do want to experiment at some point with cleaned up lines; or - failing that - more of a single-stroke brushpen look.


Howard;

Thank you - I was hoping that I could get some of the stiffness out my illos by taking a stab at the one thing I knew had a bit of uncontrollable movement mixed with controlled chaos - something besides politics or demolition derbies anyhow...


Beanie Girl;

Aye, backstage is safer; but then the audience won't get to see a supermodel hit the stage for an impromptu runway fashion telethon. And as we all know, even a hardcore show needs a touch of style and taste now and again. (Besides, you can stagedive once you hit the end of the catwalk.)

Mall said...

XD aw come on, another word you say "supermodel"... da, i wish i could wanna be a supermodel unless i need to grow taller than yours.... silly silly tsar.... <3

ManuPela said...

Cooool!
It really makes the idea of a crowded and powerfull live concert!
..two days ago I went to some mini lives, there were only 20 or 30 people..it was funny there wasn't too much confusion and the music was very good! :)

Khylov said...

Tsarina;


Oh, I only speak the truth. You should know that by now. Besides, supermodels are known for their barrel rolls in hectic or crowd situations. Just look at what's-her-name Jovavich in Fifth Element.


ManuPela;


Thanks much. Glad you had the chance to hit the live music scene there. What kind of music?

I used to collect older (early 80's) records from Italy for awhile - mostly what was considered HC at the time: Peggio Punx, Wretched, Indigesti, Raw Power, etc. And judging from the pictures on the inside sleeves of those albums, the shows they used to put on there (mostly in Milan, I think) looked quite a bit like a MT show.

American bands used to comment on how Italy was one of the funnest, rowdiest places to play when touring Europe.